Pages

Khloe & Helana's Music Video

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Encaustic Wax Sellac Burn - Mountain Landscape

I tried out a really unusual technic this week-end. I found this Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjdd7GzxViQ

I started with an abstract encaustic wax painting done on an 8"x10" clay board. I added a layer of shellac, then dabbed on shellac colored with PearlEx powder. I sprinkled on some silver PearlEx powder, then ignited the picture with a match. Once the burnable component in the shellac had burned off, I repeated the process. My PyroMuse loved it! Here's the picture. I'm not crazy about the brown spots, so I'll rub those with some PearlEx powder before I seal it. It's much more abstract after the burn process. I love the light blue just below the center - that's from the burn. They look like a field of blue flowers.

I'll be making a stop at Hobby Lobby to buy some more clay board tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment